Saturday, January 28, 2012

Pinterest: Another Tool in the Photographer's Gear Bag

My Prop and Backdrop Wishlist Pinboard


I'm sure most of you have heard about, or are using, Pinterest, the website that allows you to curate collections of your favorite things from across the internet.  Pinterest is a visual feast for the eyes, a gorgeous collection of images, ideas, and inspiration.  I love it.

It's no surprise that I use Pinterest for keeping track of a number of photography and business related topics.  I have a pinboard for Marketing, several pinboards for session and pose ideas, pinboards of little tips and tricks to make my life easier...the list goes on and on.

A sampling of my (many, many) pinboards.


My Pinterest account is good for my clients, too!   Browsing through my boards gives my clients an even better idea of what I'm all about.  My style, my vision, the direction I'd like to take my business...it's all there for everyone to see, making it even easier for them to decide if I'm the right person to capture their memories. 

Recently, I've discovered a great new use for Pinterest that brings me even closer to my clients - collaborative boards!  Collaborative boards are pinboards that allow more than one user to add or subtract images and ideas.  Kind of like a community bulletin board, but with as many or as few people allowed to post as you want.  How does something like that enhance the Client-Photographer relationship?  Like this:

I'm shooting a wedding in June.  I don't do many weddings, but I'm super excited about this one because I've known the bride for a couple of years and she is as fun and funny and quirky and great as they come.  Her wedding is going to be a blast!  She has so many fantastic ideas for her special day, and her enthusiasm and great sense of style have inspired me so much that I just can't wait to get behind the lens and capture some of these great ideas we've cooked up together.

Because this bride knows her style and knows exactly what she wants, she's got list and lists of photos she'd love to have from her wedding day.  Because her taste and style matches my artistic style, I am only too happy to work hard to give her what she wants.  Enter the Collaborative Pinboard.  We take turns posting ideas to her wedding photography board, giving and receiving feedback, and over time the pinboard has developed it's own theme and tone.  Basically, we're setting the stage for the wedding ahead of time.

For the bride, this kind of collaboration gives her confidence that I know exactly what she wants from her wedding day photography.  It's lets her know that I'm paying attention, that I'm excited about photographing her big day, and that I'm going to give her my very best.  That's a lot of bonus client goodwill gleaned from surfing Pinterest! Which, lets be honest now, I'd definitely be doing anyway!

This kind of approach isn't a one-size-fits all kind of thing.  It won't work for all photographers, and it definitely won't work for all clients.  But for this photographer?  And this client?  It's working like magic, and magic is what we're looking to create when I step up with the camera on June 2nd.  It's not a tool I'll try to use every single time, but I love knowing I have it up my sleeve if I want to pull it out.

What about you?  As a photographer, how do you use Pinterest to maximize your business, or to interact with your clients? 

Oh, yeah, and if you're on Pinterest, come follow me!  I love, love, love having great new people and their mix of styles and voices show up in my pin feed.  

No comments:

Post a Comment